Widget Drag/Drop - Not Sticking

Topics: Controls
Aug 4, 2009 at 9:10 PM

I have two blogs that this has annoyed me on for a bit...thought maybe it was just me, but I can't seem to figure out how to fix this.  I can drag and drop all day and everything moves around just fine...but upon refreshing the page, it reverts back to whatever it was set to.

In XMLDB mode, it's a matter of editing the widget zone file and recycling the app pool.

In SQLDB mode, it's a PITA editing an XML file in SQL, and then recycling the app pool.

So, I'd rather have this fixed appropriately.  Any ideas what I might need to do to get this working correctly?

Thanks much...

Aug 5, 2009 at 9:33 AM

What version of BE are you using?  Have you tried dragging-and-dropping with a different browser?  Do you see any JavaScript errors when dragging and dropping?  If you use Firefox, you can check the Error Console (Tools -> Error Console) to see if any new entries pop up in there when you are dragging and dropping.

FWIW, the latest build of BE doesn't use the drag-and-drop interface anymore.  Instead, a dropdown box containing all the widgets is used.  You select the place you want to move the widget to, and click a 'Move' button.

Aug 6, 2009 at 12:16 AM

* Using the latest production release of BE 1.5.  

* IE8, Safari 4, FF 3.5...all react the same.

* No JavaScript errors on any browser when dragging/dropping, including Error Console in FF.  Works fine locally, just doesn't save position to the server.

If no one has any suggestions, I'll likely update to the latest build, but would rather stay on production release if possible.

Thanks for the response, Ben!

Aug 6, 2009 at 3:43 AM
Edited Aug 6, 2009 at 3:44 AM

If you do upgrade to the latest build, a couple of things that come to mind ...

- The latest build supports multiple widget zones.  Because of this if you have CSS styles like #widgetzone, those should be changed to .widgetzone (a search and replace should work).  I blogged about this here.

- There's a couple of new DB tables being used in the latest build.  In the latest build, there's a setup\SQLServer folder containing a file named MSSQLUpgradeToNEXT.sql.  This script contains the CREATE TABLE statements for the 2 new tables.

Wish I had some idea about the current drag-and-drop problem.  I'm sure there's an explanation for it!

EDIT:  Hopefully the problem you're having now is due to the drag-and-drop functionality.  If the problem is somewhere else along the line, this latest build could potentially not solve the problem.