Multi blog configuration on 3.2.0.0

Dec 29, 2015 at 5:47 PM
I have done an upgrade of a 3.1.0.0 site that support multiple blogs, with a parent aggregated blog (running on MSSQL).

Once upgraded to 3.2.0.0 I have a couple of issues

I cannot access to the admin dashboard of the parent blog if the DB setting for aggregation is set to true - I get the error Item has already been added. Key in dictionary: 'displayname' Key being added: 'displayname' I have seen this in previous versions I think it is trying to load settings from child blogs.

If I set the aggregation flag to false via a SQL query I can access the dashboard. However, I cannot find an admin page to manage the sub blogs or users. The about page says the parent (and all sub blogs) are in 'single blog' mode

Am I missing a setting or upgrade setup?
Coordinator
Dec 30, 2015 at 4:38 AM
Marked as answer by rfennell on 12/31/2015 at 4:35 AM
Dec 30, 2015 at 11:32 AM
That's that got me unblocked, stupidly I had been looking on the old CodePlex documentation pages.

One follow up, I understand why there are just the 3 basic modes, is there an intension to add an option (without a code fork) to enable multi blogs and multi user?
Coordinator
Dec 30, 2015 at 5:20 PM
That is scenario we trying to get out of. Currently, you can "break" into multiple blogs with multiple users, the code supports it.
But this requires multiple memberships and BE does some crazy things to make it work. Very hard to maintain and improve.
Eventually, we want to use standard ASP.NET membership, with social logins etc.
Dec 31, 2015 at 12:35 PM
That makes sense, and I think explains why I have issues loading the admin dashboard when the primary blog is set to also aggregate the child blog as I bet it thinks there a multiple users with the same name in the same blog.

So, as I have a set of blogs on my server that started as a single blog with multi users but was split out to multiple blogs (one per user) there a number of old login accounts that are no longer really needed. Do you suggest I use a bit of SQL to remove these old user accounts so I only have the one user per blog model going forward?
Coordinator
Dec 31, 2015 at 4:09 PM
Yes, basically as long as you fine within these 3 basic configurations your setup is future proof. If you have to fork and modify, all bets are off.
Jan 4 at 6:03 PM
I found I still had some issues on the aggregated blog accessing the dashboard due to duplicated user names.

My solution is detailed here http://blogs.blackmarble.co.uk/blogs/rfennell/post/2016/01/04/Fixing-cannot-load-dashboard-issues-on-BlogEngineNET-using-sub-blog-aggregation.aspx
Jan 5 at 5:39 PM
I've also been having this problem, and I also found it wasn't rectified by adding the "multiblogs" usagescenario to the appSettings section of web.config.

My alternate (albeit rather short term) solution was to delete all the profile data for the users from the primary blog who were just admins from other blogs. It wasn't used in the primary blog, it's just put in there when the blog is created with the admin, or the user data is saved/changed on the main blog.
Jan 19 at 1:32 PM
Hi,

I'm using Blog Engine 3.1.0.1
I need this functionality Many blogs each with a single user – a set of related blogs that can be aggregated together
<add key="BlogEngine.UsageScenario" value="multiblogs" />
is this available in version 3.1.0.1 ? because I can't find it
or I need to update the blog engine so that this can be enabled?

Tnx,
Daniel
Jan 19 at 3:04 PM
No it is 3.2.0.0 feature, you need to upgrade to see it.

In older versions you could setup multi blog etc., but there were no specific web.config flags to enable it
Jan 19 at 3:58 PM
Edited Jan 19 at 5:55 PM
tnx @rfennell for your answer
I think it is going to be big change to upgrade to 3.2
I see 3.2 has same db structure
so I can mimic the multiple blogs - one blog per user environment in 3.1 version

it would be nice if someone of the forum has experience with this way of using the blog engine
to share some info how he has done it.

I'm not sure why this setting createblogonselfregistration is used for ?

I have tried to link one user to more blogs in be_UsersTable
but I get errors
also if user is related to one blog with BlogID it can't log in to another blog?
I was thinking that if the users are linked to the main blog they can login on sub blogs also.

tnx,
Daniel