This project is read-only.

Can't upgrade past 2.9

Topics: Themes
Feb 2, 2016 at 8:52 PM
Hi - I've been using BlogEngine since 2008. I'm not much of a developer, but I was able to go in and do some workarounds with the early versions of BlogEngine, based on suggestions I had gotten from people here on the forum.

Now, however, my workarounds seem to be interfering with something - I'm not sure what - and I can't really remember what I did. I had kept up on new releases along the way, but I can't upgrade past version 2.9. I've tried 3.0, 3.1, and now 3.2

With a bit of work, I've now gotten the basic site to run - but I can't get to any of the administration pages. This might have something to do with my theme, I'm not sure (or it might be a file path problem - my working version has themes, media, and widgets in the "root" directory rather than the "custom" directory.

I'd gladly pay someone to help me get the update working! I can email a .zip copy of the site (about 11MB). It's probably something simple. If you think you can help, contact me at TheLunatic (at) halfbakedlunatic.com

Thank you!
David Workman
Apr 3, 2016 at 4:04 PM
So it looks like my problem was simple ... I needed to edit the web.config file and set:
<trust level="High"/>

BlogEngine 2.9 and below didn't seem to care about this, but 3.0 and above does.

Now, it looks like my only remaining problem is that I can not go to the dashboard, as discussed in discussion #647289. That thread says I need to check the administrator rights in the "roles" page, but for the life of me I can't seem to find where to do this. Any suggestions?

Thanks much,
David Workman
Apr 3, 2016 at 5:15 PM
OK, after quite a bit of digging around, I see that there has been another change in V3 and above ... you also need to modify the web.config file to specify:
<add key="BlogEngine.UsageScenario" value="multiusers" />

That will enable the "roles" menu - it is hidden unless you make this change.

It was very frustrating to figure that out, but all seems to be good now.