Can't upgrade past 2.9

Topics: Themes
Feb 2 at 8:52 PM
Hi - I've been using BlogEngine since 2008. I'm not much of a developer, but I was able to go in and do some workarounds with the early versions of BlogEngine, based on suggestions I had gotten from people here on the forum.

Now, however, my workarounds seem to be interfering with something - I'm not sure what - and I can't really remember what I did. I had kept up on new releases along the way, but I can't upgrade past version 2.9. I've tried 3.0, 3.1, and now 3.2

With a bit of work, I've now gotten the basic site to run - but I can't get to any of the administration pages. This might have something to do with my theme, I'm not sure (or it might be a file path problem - my working version has themes, media, and widgets in the "root" directory rather than the "custom" directory.

I'd gladly pay someone to help me get the update working! I can email a .zip copy of the site (about 11MB). It's probably something simple. If you think you can help, contact me at TheLunatic (at) halfbakedlunatic.com

Thank you!
David Workman
Apr 3 at 4:04 PM
So it looks like my problem was simple ... I needed to edit the web.config file and set:
<trust level="High"/>

BlogEngine 2.9 and below didn't seem to care about this, but 3.0 and above does.

Now, it looks like my only remaining problem is that I can not go to the dashboard, as discussed in discussion #647289. That thread says I need to check the administrator rights in the "roles" page, but for the life of me I can't seem to find where to do this. Any suggestions?

Thanks much,
David Workman
Apr 3 at 5:15 PM
OK, after quite a bit of digging around, I see that there has been another change in V3 and above ... you also need to modify the web.config file to specify:
<add key="BlogEngine.UsageScenario" value="multiusers" />

That will enable the "roles" menu - it is hidden unless you make this change.

It was very frustrating to figure that out, but all seems to be good now.