No errors, but still slow.

Aug 12, 2009 at 9:41 PM

I'm trying to set up a blog, and I'm not sure where I went wrong.  It's at http://blog.eattvdinners.com ...  I'm using a theme I downloaded called Scruffy.  It seems to run just fine once you're on there, but it's incredibly slow loading, sometimes 10 seconds of blank screen or more.  Are the blogs just slow, or did I mess something up?   Could it be my web host?  (I'm still using 1&1 until I can find a more suitable webhost at a reasonable price that offers MS SQL.)  I am being forced to make this page accessable via a default.asp script, as 1&1 doesn't support pointing domains directly at a folder for ASP applications.

Aug 13, 2009 at 12:39 AM

Firstly, are you using a source code revision (eg. Change Set 28444), or 1.5 Final?

If you are using the latest source code version, you must create the proper table in the BE database. It may not error, but it will run SUPER SLOW...as I have found out myself.\

Also, make sure that debug mode is set to "false" in the Web.config file.

Aug 13, 2009 at 1:46 AM

Well, I'm using 1.5 Final, I believe.  I downloaded maybe two weeks ago, and the file I downloaded says "BlogEngine.NET 1.5 (web)"... 

It might the debug mode thing.  I've had to turn it off and on many times while I was setting it up, but it's off on my local copy.  That doesn't mean I did indeed upload it to my web server copy.  I overwrote my web server copy, and it DOES seem to be running faster.  I'll keep an eye on it over the next day or so and see if it runs any better.  Thanks for the help.  (I hope the final solution is something this silly on my part!)

Aug 13, 2009 at 1:08 PM

OK, I guess that wasn't it.  The faster speeds I was seeing for the minute were likely the result of a cached page.  It seems fast sometimes, but at others it just drags.  I'm thinking it may be a web host related problem, but I won't know until I switch hosts, at which point it's too late to keep my current host.