Multi-blog per instance of BlogEngine, allow the public do that on my main blog?

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0, Business Logic Layer
Apr 28 at 8:46 AM
I am a newbie to BlogEngine. Although BlogEngine has multi-blog capability, my question is who can create additional blogs? If I am the owner/administrator of the aggregate blog, of course I would be allowed to create children blogs. What if I want to allow the public to login/register to my website/aggregate-blog and allow the public to create their own blog, all without my intervention. Can BlogEngine do that, how?

Thank you.
Apr 28 at 2:38 PM
Self-registration currently on hold, for security reasons.
Apr 29 at 4:45 PM
Edited Apr 29 at 4:51 PM
Hi Rtur,

I'm impressed with BlogEngine v3.2 and your focus on security. I write about scalability of multi-blogs.

In v3.2, for each new blog created by Admin, a disk folder is created that houses a number of files. Each blog folder serves as the basis of the URL. This design will not allow scalability nor a common user experience. Here's why:

1) When a million blogs are created, there would be a million blog folders and since Windows Explorer is not a relational database, lookup to render pages will be extremely slow if at all possible. Should architect the design to embed each blog folder into some kind of database records, which will afford fast retrieval and hence scalability.
I understand for non-tech blog owners, xml as a datastore was used. However, whenever BlogEngine is configured to use SQL Server, then those blog folders mechanism should be transferred into SQL Server instead of continued use of blog folders.

2) The url generated to associate with each blog will means the url is different for each blog owner (e.g., . This means no "common experience". Instead, what rendered on the page should be based on login id, not url mechanism. Further, at v3.2, the url generated has a bug, it appended the blog twice name (e.g., in the url and i have to manually remove it to get to login page. This happens RIGHT AFTER admin created a new blog, subsequent invocation of blogs from Blog List don't have that url problem.

Please comment on my observations and suggestions. Thank you.
Apr 29 at 7:46 PM
This can be a long discussion, but quick points are:
  1. It was never designed to run millions blogs, running multiple blogs was added as "feature" for people who wanted to run several blogs on the same host. It sure has to be re-designed to scale indefinitely.
  2. Next version most likely will be using routing instead of URL rewrite, so if you submit pull request in Github fixing the bug, that would be great. Otherwise upcoming version will deal with it.