Starting problem

Aug 17, 2009 at 5:20 AM

I just downloaded the BE.NET 1.5 and installed it as per the instruction on the video file. When I try to execute it on the browser, I am not able to see the blog. All I see is the directory of the blog folder. I have disabled the directory view in IIS , but then it does not help either. Can someone help

Aug 17, 2009 at 10:38 AM

Are you running the site through Visual Studio?  VS usually shows you a directory view.

You can try hitting the blog's homepage directly.  The page is default.aspx.  E.G. http://localhost/blog/default.aspx.

If you're not running it through Visual Studio, in IIS, add "default.aspx" as a Default Document for the website/application.

Aug 17, 2009 at 7:45 PM

I tried to do this. But it is giving me this error :-

Server Application Unavailable

The web application you are attempting to access on this web server is currently unavailable.  Please hit the "Refresh" button in your web browser to retry your request.

Administrator Note: An error message detailing the cause of this specific request failure can be found in the application event log of the web server. Please review this log entry to discover what caused this error to occur.

Aug 18, 2009 at 1:38 AM

Make sure the blog website in IIS is setup to ASP.NET 2.x -- not ASP.NET 1.x.  When you right-click on the site and select Properties, there's an ASP.NET tab that allows you to choose which framework version to use.

If that doesn't help, then look in the Application Event log as the error message instructs.  There will be a message in there indicating what the problem is.

Aug 18, 2009 at 5:24 AM

Thanks BenAmada. It is working now , but with the whole path name "http://localhost/myblog/default.aspx" . So if I remove default.aspx from the path then it shows all the file of myblog folder in the browser. Just want to confirm that if I am right?

Aug 18, 2009 at 8:09 AM

Typically, if you add "default.aspx" as a "Default Document" in IIS, then if you navigate to the site without default.aspx in the URL, IIS will look at the list of defined Default Documents and try to find a page on your site that matches the default document.  If it finds a match, then it will display that page (even though default.aspx in not in the URL).

So I would check the Default Documents in IIS for your site and make sure default.aspx is in the list of default documents.