Email Settings - Could not connect - The specified string is not in the form required for an e-mail address.

Sep 1, 2009 at 11:18 PM

Trying to set up email settings, getting the error below. Even when I use old setting for a different BE that works, get the same error on this one.

Using 1.5.0.7

'Could not connect - The specified string is not in the form required for an e-mail address.'

Coordinator
Sep 3, 2009 at 10:02 AM

Are you entering a valid email address in the "Email Address" field on the Settings tab?

Is this error occurring when you click the "Test mail settings" button?

Sep 3, 2009 at 9:59 PM

Yes, it is a valid email address, and yes this is occurring when I click the Test mail settings button.

Coordinator
Sep 3, 2009 at 11:09 PM

Are you sure the other settings are correct?

I would verify that the settings for SMTP Server, Port Number, Username, Password and Enable SSL are correct.

Also, depending on the mail server, it may be a requirement that the Email Address you specify is a "real" email account setup on that mail server you're sending the email through.

Sep 4, 2009 at 4:10 AM
Edited Sep 4, 2009 at 4:11 AM

I'm pretty sure the other settings are all correct.

I have another older BE working online, and I have taken the working settings from that BE and tried to use them in the new BE and I still get the same error.

What else could be wrong?

Coordinator
Sep 4, 2009 at 5:53 AM

I would suggest searching Google for the error message.  The "Could not connect" part of the error message comes from BE.  So I would do a search on just:

The specified string is not in the form required for an e-mail address.

There's actually a lot of search results.

The code for "Test mail settings" is very basic and there's nothing in it that is tricky, or out of the ordinary.  I really don't think this is a BE issue.  Whatever values you are entering are not valid for some reason.