Deleting initial page and initial blog entry

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0, Business Logic Layer, Controls
Sep 23, 2009 at 3:20 PM

Hi again,

Is it possible to delete the page and post that come installed with the engine ? I can create and delete new posts/pages OK - but can't delete (or edit) the built in ones

Many thanks

Sep 30, 2009 at 1:07 PM

Anyone ?

Oct 1, 2009 at 10:20 AM

What do you mean you can't delete or edit the built in ones?  Do you mean you don't have the Delete and Edit links?  Or do you have the links, but receive some error or nothing happens when you try to edit/delete?

If you're logged in as an administrator (i.e. you're in the Administrator role), then you should be able to delete the original post.  If you're logged in as an Editor, I believe you can only delete posts that you authored.  In this case, you might not be able to delete the original post.

But if I recall correctly, any Editor or any Administrator should be able to edit and delete Pages -- regardless if the Editor originally authored the page.

Oct 1, 2009 at 10:32 AM

Thanks for the reply

I'm logged in as administrator and can delete other posts (i.e. ones i have created)

But if i delete the initial post ('Welcome to BlogEngine.NET 1.5.0') I get the following error:

Access to the path 'd:\users\hamiltonituk\public_html\blog\App_Data\posts\c3b491e5-59ac-4f6a-81e5-27e971b903ed.xml' is denied.

Oct 1, 2009 at 10:38 AM

That's interesting.  I'm not sure, but it sounds like maybe Write permissions were added to the App_Data folder but didn't get added to the existing files in the folder.  So you might not have write permissions to that file, but you do for new files getting created.

If you have FTP access to the server, it's probably easiest to just physically delete that file.  If you do this, you'll probably still see the original post since the posts are cached in memory.  Restarting the blog will clear out this cached data.  You can make any change to the web.config file (add a space, etc) to restart the blog.

The pages are in the App_Data\pages folder.

Oct 1, 2009 at 11:20 AM

Thanks very much for your help - I deleted the file and modded the web.config and its now gone !

FYI - I checked the file permissions and it definitely looked OK (same as all the new posts I had created) so this is really bizarre