Help getting Categories, Authors, and Tag links to work

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0, Controls
Oct 9, 2009 at 3:49 PM

I started looking into BlogEngine.NET about a week ago, and I got to say, I love it. It's really easy to use (for the most part), and having the source code really helps fine tune features.

One of the things I want to do is use a different page for the posts, called "AllPosts.aspx", and reserve "Default.aspx" as a static Welcome page with a button that links to "AllPosts.aspx". So far so good, it is just a matter of renaming the default.aspx included with BlodEngine to AllPosts.aspx (works fine when I go directly to The problem comes when I click on one of the categories/authors/tags links.

When I click the links, say to load the Category "BlogEngine.Net", it takes me to the url "", which is expected, but it doesn't load (I have not created the default page yet). It is attempting to load Default.aspx and can't find it.

What do I need to do so that "" load the AllPosts page instead of Default (if possible)? 

NOTE: I don't want to set AllPosts as the default webpage, since I want my visitors to get the static welcome page when they visit my site. 

• Default.aspx (static page) - Dafault Page
  • AllPosts.aspx (BlogBasePage)
  • Contact Me (static page)

Thank You,

Oct 10, 2009 at 8:35 AM

In the BE core, there's a UrlRewrite module that is rewriting the URL for default.aspx.

If you download the Source version of BE, there's a DotNetSlave.BusinessLogic folder (or BlogEngine.Core folder in the major releases).  In there, in the Web\HttpModules folder is UrlRewrite.cs.  You can modify it so it does a rewrite to AllPosts.aspx instead of default.aspx.  After modifying any of these BE core files, you will need to recompile the core to create a new BlogEngine.Core.dll file for your BIN folder.

Oct 11, 2009 at 1:56 AM

Thank you very much, that worked. Well, at least the Categories for now.

But now that I know where to tweak, I'll be able to change everything the way I want it to.

Thanks again.