Any plans to migrate to 3.5/MVC?

Oct 13, 2009 at 5:13 AM

Hey guys.  I've been using BlogEngine for a while now, and love it!  Are there any plans to migrate it to ASP.NET 3.5 and MVC?

Coordinator
Oct 13, 2009 at 9:46 AM

Because there is still a small percentage of BE users in an environment where 3.5 isn't available, BE hasn't fully moved to 3.5 yet.

The BE Core in BE 1.5 is actually already using some 3.5 functionality -- Automatic Properties and Lambdas.  These features gets compiled into code that is compatible with .NET 2.0.

But since 3.5 has been out for a while, it might be okay for BE to get moved up to 3.5 after this next BE release.  That's not an official word, but it seems we've waited long enough!

There are no MVC plans that I've heard of.  Switching to MVC would take a large investment in time.  I think most people would rather that time be spent developing new features for BE -- especially considering MVC wouldn't really provide any benefits to BE that are already available via webforms.

Oct 13, 2009 at 12:52 PM

Understandable.  And thanks for the quick reply!  I agree.  MVC is a great architectural pattern, and if this were a new app, then it'd be easy to get it going in MVC.  But for a mature one like BE, I am glad to hear that there are plans to eventually move it to 3.5 Web Forms.

Aug 14, 2010 at 9:38 AM
Ben, I've only recently started using the various open-source projects on codeplex. This includes BlogEngine, playing around with MojoPortal and some other projects like TweetSharp. I've got to say... BlogEngine is probably one of the best .NET open-source projects i've seen. One of the main reasons for this is that it's very easy to jump into. Im using MVC quite a bit, and have to say, it definitely reduces how much code I write. Seeing as how the codebase for BlogEngine is relatively small, how difficult would it be to migrate to MVC gradually in a hybrid MVC / Web-Forms approach? - J
Coordinator
Aug 16, 2010 at 8:37 AM

I have very minimal experience with MVC, so I can't say for sure what's involved with a gradual migration to MVC.

A lot of the code is business and process oriented and wouldn't be affected at all by such a migration.  For your own use, you can create an MVC based theme.  If we were to convert BE to MVC (which there are no plans for), I don't think any of the dozens of themes people have created would carry over as-is, without some type of modification.  The widget system may or may not carry over as-is.

Other than the typical changes to the front end pages and themes, I think changes would need to be made to the "base" pages in the BE core.  Those pages being the ones in the Web\Controls folder in the core -- BlogBasePage, CommentViewBase, PostViewBase.

There could be more (or less) -- just laying out what's coming to mind now.