Blog postings with the same title?

Oct 23, 2009 at 3:52 AM

Hi all,

Here's my dilemma I just came across. I am using BlogEngine to post some weekly updates. So say last Thursday I made a post called "weekly update." This Thursday I make a new post, also called "weekly update."

My problem is now if I look at the first post called "weekly update" and I want to view the post or if it has a [more] break, when I click on the "More..." link to view the rest of the post, I am taken to the newest post I just added called "weekly update" and not the post I really wanted to see more of.

Any ideas on how I can work around this? I know I could just make sure to give them a unique name, but it seems I may post other entries with the same title unknowingly by coincidence and have the same problem.

Thanks!

Oct 23, 2009 at 8:48 AM

Hi Player,

Confirmed your diagnosis.

Look on the bright side; at least clicking the more hyperlink BE.NET always show the latest Weekly Update post. BlogEngine.NET automatically displays the most recent post with the same title. I reckon there's a bright developer who thought through that possibility and came up with the most logical & desired option. You've guessed the first option (a) suffix your post title with a day/date - a unique title, or secondly (b) Settings > Add date to post links.

BE.NET will then have a unique post title to find as follows:

http://localhost/blogengine/post/2009/10/23/Weekly-Update.aspx#continue

Nick

Coordinator
Oct 23, 2009 at 9:58 AM

Sadly, even if you include dates in the post URLs, the same problem exists -- only the newest post gets displayed.  BE isn't actually matching the dates in the URL correctly.  I filed an issue on this back in February, but forgot about it!

http://blogengine.codeplex.com/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=9212

I just fixed this and checked it in, 1.5.1.25.  The fix is what is suggested in the above issue.

The fix also solves the same issue that would occur when trying to access a post via the Guid/Permalink, when another post has the same title.  Normally BE will 301 redirect you from the Guid URL to the friendly URL, but will now look to see if there's another post with the same friendly URL and skip the 301 redirect (if another post with the same friendly URL does exist).

If you have more than one post with the same Title, you will still need to use the "Add date to post links" option that Nick suggests.  Otherwise, you'll get the newest post.  Just don't post two posts on the same day with the same title!  Like "Hourly update" :)

Oct 23, 2009 at 12:44 PM

Hmm...well my dilemma is a little more complicated. See, I will have several editors who are suppose to add entries about their weekly progress. They are probably all going to be posting on the same day. Am I understanding correctly that even if I update to 1.5.1.25 and use the "Add date to post link" I will still NOT be able to have posts with the same title if they are added on the same day?

If this is the case I would at least like to let my editors know to make sure they add something unique to their post title and not just "weekly update"

Oct 23, 2009 at 3:14 PM

Also, this may be a dumb question, but how do I update to 1.5.1.25 without losing all the changes I have made myself? I have existing posts and user profiles, but I also made changes to some user controls such as the CommentView and a few changes to some master templates.

Coordinator
Oct 24, 2009 at 2:30 AM

Regarding the posts with the same title ... you don't actually need to create a unique post title for each post.  Just make sure the SLUG is unique.  So you can have 100 posts all named "Weekly Update", but the slug should be weekly-update-1, weekly-update-2, etc.

If you ensure each slug is unique, then you don't actually need to upgrade to 1.5.1.25.  If you do want to upgrade to 1.5.1.25, here's some instructions ....

INSTRUCTIONS

If you download the any of the latest builds on the Source Code tab, you'll first need to compile the BE core using Visual Studio.  This will produce a BlogEngine.Core.DLL file that you'll want in your BIN folder.

You can keep all your posts.  I would first make a backup of everything you have, just in case something doesn't work.  Then overwrite your folder/files with the folder/files from BE 1.5.1.25.  EXCEPT, don't overwrite the App_Data folder.  That's where all your data is (assuming you're not using the DB for storage).  If you've made any changes to the web.config file, you will want to avoid overwriting that too.

You'll next want to reapply any changes you made to CommentView and other files to the 1.5.1.25 files.

One folder you'll no longer need is the ExtensionsManager folder under App_Code.  This code has been moved into the BE core.  So you will need to delete the ExtensionsManager folder under App_Code.

If you're using widgets, you'll probably need to update your theme's CSS file since there's a minor breaking change to accommodate multiple widget zones.  I describe the impact of the changes here.

That's all that comes to mind now, in terms of changes.  But as long as you have that "just in case" backup, you'll be in a good shape.