BlogEngine good choice?

Oct 25, 2009 at 6:41 PM
Edited Oct 25, 2009 at 10:42 PM

I'm considering what to use, BE or WordPress. I'd rather go for a Dotnet solution, but I don't know. I got BE running without much ado and it works as it should, but I'm a bit worried about support and documentation. I find it hard to get information on BE and it seems info is not being updated as it should be done for a living system. Here are a few thinks I've encountered:

• The home page on is not being updated (it says 1.5 Release Candidate is the current version) and links don't get me where I want to go (e.g. the links to the themes pack don't take me to a page where I can download it).
  • The doc section contains documents with basic help that says (Item description) which is not very helpful (see the System Administration-Settings document).
  • The forum board is a messy mixture of beginners' and advanced programmers' questions, suggestions and complaints in a long list. Why not use an ordinary discussion forum for this with subgroups and hierarchical structure, instead of the basic issue tracker that is used now.

I can't find any better Dotnet solution for blogging, but I'd like to know about the future of the system. I would be nice to hear about current activities and what the roadmap looks like.

Oct 25, 2009 at 7:34 PM

Hi there eye,

I have to say, I agree with what you are saying. I am relatively new to, but I have downloaded the source and I have to say it is extremely well thought out and programmed. I am working on a few personal projects involving custom themes, and the further I dig into it, the more I appreciate the plumbing.

I am perplexed by the status of the website. I am sure it turns some users away. Compare it to the wordpress website and I can see why new users might turn away from the platform before giving it a try.

Here are my suggestions - first and foremost, update the website. Add a true user forum, post regularly to keep up to date with the most recent release, update the roadmap, and maybe add a repository for plugins and themes. Add a blogroll to the main site featuring all of the core developers as they have great information on their blogs, but a potential user has to do some serious digging in order to find it, and people need instant gratification these day.

I hope the developers don't read this and take it as a rip on the project. Honestly, I think it is well done, but I think it needs a little public relations tlc.

Oct 26, 2009 at 9:20 AM

hi eye. Dont know to why main site is not updated. If you prefer DotNet Language for sure BE is a good choise. Code is very simple to change. I use BE with SQLite database and works great. I come from Wordpress to because is in php.

Oct 26, 2009 at 7:13 PM

Azevedo, I have no complaints about BE itself. But it doesn't matter how good the car is, if the saleman doesn't give you proper and ample information you may start to mistrust him, and you won't buy the car.

Try to get hold of the supposedly included themes if you can. On the themes page there are links that only lead to samples images, you can't download the themes. It also says that they are included in version 1.3 (which by the way is referred to as the current version). They may have been included earlier, but they are not present in the current package (1.5). Furthermore, the downloadable themes farther down on the page are all stated to be compatible to older versions of BE.

I don't think this is the way to establish BE as the big alternative to WP on the Dotnet side of the fence. BE is a great system and it deserves and needs better.

Jsaccoccio have some really good (and obvious) ideas in the post above. It could be a start.

Dec 28, 2009 at 1:49 PM

The BE is a good choice. It has some things that a want to change. But doesn´t impact most people.

-Option to disable cache(I has 3 web servers), blogengine just dont work in this scenario.

-When you add a new comment, it delete all comments from Table and then add all again.(this is horrible)

-Many people(like me) can´t post comments, in any BE, you click at Save, and nothing happen. And I dont know why comments use that Ajax implementation, with .Net Javascripts methods....UpdatePanel is here a few years