When is the ExtensionManagers _extensions list populated?

Topics: Business Logic Layer
Nov 30, 2009 at 3:13 PM

Hi,

I've been looking through the code and can't work out when the extension manager's _extensions list is populated. It only seems to be on the ExtensionEnabled function but that doesn't seem to be called either!! can someone explain this to me please?

Thanks

Gareth

Coordinator
Nov 30, 2009 at 5:51 PM

It is called in global.asax on application start.

Jun 16, 2010 at 1:51 AM

This can be the issue for users experiencing System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. on gridFilters.DataKeyNames = new string[] { _filters.KeyField }; when attempting to configure Comment Settings.

It will also show NO EXTENSIONS available in Settings page even though they exist in the underlying data (either SQL or XML).

If you've MERGED the blog engine app into a parent app, you'll need to move the Global.asax (or merge it's contents if your parent app has existing global.asax requirements) into the parent application root.. this will of course restart your app.

Rich

Jul 3, 2010 at 6:25 AM

Thanks, I got benefited from your answer as well.

Jul 3, 2010 at 8:38 AM
RichieRichAU wrote:

If you've MERGED the blog engine app into a parent app, you'll need to move the Global.asax (or merge it's contents if your parent app has existing global.asax requirements) into the parent application root.. this will of course restart your app.

Rich

This isn't true for cases when BlogEngine.NET is running in a separate AppPool, right?

Jul 3, 2010 at 9:30 AM
Edited Jul 3, 2010 at 9:31 AM

When I say merged, I'm not using any technical term... I simply mean you're combining all of the BlogEngine components into an existing web app... e.g. your existing site/portal/whatever... it will become part of your site, and not a separate application i.e. it will by definition be part of your existing application. How then can it run in a separate AppPool?? Or have I missed the question completely?

p.s. you're welcome waheez

Jul 3, 2010 at 9:37 AM

Ah you know what, I just answered my own question. You can have a BlogEngine.NET app running in a subfolder of a parent ASP.NET app but if you define that subfolder as its own web application in IIS it gets its own AppPool so it can have its own Global.asax and Web.config. At least that's what I remember. I could be wrong though and it's nearly 2:00am here haha!

Jul 3, 2010 at 11:29 AM

Spot on Aaronontheweb. As you have it there, BlogEngine is it's own application... the fact that it physically resides in a sub-folder is to some degree irrelevant. It has it's own settings, though be careful of which settings it inherits from "above".