Duplicate emails and version 1.5.0.8

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0, Controls
Dec 1, 2009 at 9:25 PM

I use BE 1.5.0.7 for an internal blog in our organization. A user who subscribed to new comments on a post reports she is getting multiple copies of each new comment email. Checking into this issue I found this article
http://blogengine.codeplex.com/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=9287
which describes the issue and offers a solution.

It says the problem was fixed in version 1.5.0.8, but where can I get this version? I thought I could edit the code to make these changes (I have done that for some other issues) but I cannot see where these changes need to be made. I am more of a designer than a programmer, so I'm a bit over my head on this one.

Is version 1.5.0.8 available somewhere that I haven't found? Or is there another way to apply this solution?

Coordinator
Dec 1, 2009 at 11:19 PM

You can get any of the recent (or older) builds on the Source Code tab above.

The latest build version is 1.5.1.31.  Version 1.5.0.8 is here.  Once there, you can click the 'Download' link.

These builds on the Source Code tab do not include the compiled DLL for the BIN folder.  If you have Visual Studio (express version is free), you can compile the BE core project which will produce a DLL to put in your BIN folder.

Sometimes changes are made outside the BE core, where you can just edit those files without needing to recompile.  But these particular fixes related to new comment email notifications were changes made in the BE core -- so a recompile is necessary.

Dec 3, 2009 at 6:30 PM

Thanks for the pointer, Ben. I have a copy of VS 2005 but I really don't know how to use it well. I thought this would be a good learning experience but I have been trying to re-compile and get nothing but errors. Is there an issue with using VS 2005 instead of 2008? I got a warning about the project file being made with a newer version, but it let me open the project and re-save the file.

Coordinator
Dec 4, 2009 at 12:27 AM

There are some VS2008 specific features being used in the BE core.  So compiling with VS2005 probably doesn't work.

For the free VS2008 editions, there's a free Web Developer version and there's a free C# version.  You might be able to use either one, but I know for sure that the C# version works for compiling the BE core.

If you get the C# version, compiling the BE core should be pretty easy.  I documented 4 steps to do this in this thread.