Widgets Not Found (Unable to cast object of type...)

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0
Dec 16, 2009 at 2:59 AM

Got a new install going. Using the XML option at the moment.

I can view the home page but along the right column, I'm getting a bunch of these errors:

Widget [widget name] not found.

Ubable to cast object of type 'ASP.widgets_[widget name]_widget_ascx' to type 'WidgetBase'.

I see other questions like this posted in here, but, alas, no answers to any of them.

Any ideas?

Dec 16, 2009 at 3:03 AM

Apparently, I'm not the only one with this issue. A google search returns live sites with the same issue.

Example:  kvnc.net (see the right column. These are the errors I'm seeing on my install)

Coordinator
Dec 16, 2009 at 4:16 AM

If you having this problem with standard theme, you likely have issue with IIS write permissions. Try to verify your install as described here.

Dec 16, 2009 at 6:01 AM

It's the default install, so I assume the standard theme.

It's on Server 2003 so running IIS6.

I've granted ASPNET and IIS_WPG write permissions to the app_data folder.

I've confirmed that sub folders propogated the permissions and that all 'read only' flags on the files are off.

Dec 17, 2009 at 6:02 AM

Well, I went so far as to give 'everyone' write permission to app_data. Still no luck.

However, I noticed that it's not *all* of the widgets that don't work. ABOUT, TAG CLOUD and PAGE LIST all work.

The two that don't are MONTH LIST and BLOGROLL

Another odd thing is that 'Filter by APML' loading icon in the top right toolbar never finished loading (it just sits on the animated logo icon).

Does this offer any clues as to what might be going on on the remote server?

Dec 18, 2009 at 2:33 AM

Still having this issue. Any theories out there?

Some more clues:

- Running on my local machine, I don't have this issue.

- doesn't matter which theme I pick. These same widgets produce the error.

- write permissions on the app_data folder seem to be OK as I can now log in to the blog and post content

Coordinator
Dec 18, 2009 at 3:33 AM

Did you just simply 'copy' the files to the production web server?  Or were you using Visual Studio and used the 'Publish' option within Visual Studio?

The Publish option in Visual Studio has been known to cause problems.

If I think of any other possibilities I'll post again (just this one for now!)

Coordinator
Dec 18, 2009 at 3:36 AM

More specifically, Publishing or Pre-compiling is what has been known to cause problems ....

Dec 18, 2009 at 3:55 AM

Sorry all. Found the culprit. Not BE's fault!

Turns out an old bug with Filezilla that's never been fixed and certain FTP servers will cause file contents to be swapped when uploaded via multiple connections. So the contents of your file.xml can end up in file.aspx

Re-uploading everything using a single connection (slow!) fixed the issue!