Default blog entry on new installation

Jan 9, 2010 at 4:05 AM

I just installed and it has a default entry with the setup info from the docs. I have been unable to delete this. I thought this might be because I had deleted the admin account, which it was created under. But re-created that and logged in as admin and still can't delete that entry. I can delete other entries I create. Nice entry, but not one I need.

Thanks for any suggestions. 

Jan 9, 2010 at 5:16 AM

I would check the App_Data\posts folder and see if the XML post disappears when you delete it.  The filename should be c3b491e5-59ac-4f6a-81e5-27e971b903ed.xml.

Someone else maybe had the same problem before (can't remember).  It might be a file permissions problem.  If all else fails, you can just delete this XML file directly from the file system.  There's no harm in this.  Then re-start the blog so the post gets cleared out of memory.  You can re-start the blog by making any change to the web.config file in the root directory (add a space, etc).

Jan 9, 2010 at 11:29 AM

The XML file was not being deleted when I clicked Delete at the bottom of the post. Deleting the file manually and then changing and saving the config file took care of the problem.

Jan 9, 2010 at 11:35 AM
Edited Jan 10, 2010 at 12:38 PM response was double-posted for some reason and I don't see a way to delete the second one.

Jan 9, 2010 at 5:40 PM

Maybe I'm late on this one, but I assume file permissions as well.  I've run into permissions issues due to forgetting to change those permissions the first time I unzip the source.  Also, I'll move files into the App_Data folder after setting permissions, but forget the new files.

One simple trick I've used, may be better ones available, is to compress/zip any files you need to move, copy, transfer, deploy, etc.; then copy them from your zip/archive directly into the folder you need.  I use drag and drop because it's oh-so-simple and painless.  If you moved files into a folder from the "wrong" directory into App_Data, or even the root, you can either re-set permissions on the whole folder again, or just remove and do the zip/un-zip routine I suggested.

I hope this helps more permissions related issues than just this one, but either way I hope it helps someone.