Default blog entry on new installation

Jan 9, 2010 at 5:05 AM

I just installed 1.5.0.7 and it has a default entry with the setup info from the docs. I have been unable to delete this. I thought this might be because I had deleted the admin account, which it was created under. But re-created that and logged in as admin and still can't delete that entry. I can delete other entries I create. Nice entry, but not one I need.

Thanks for any suggestions. 

Steve

Coordinator
Jan 9, 2010 at 6:16 AM

I would check the App_Data\posts folder and see if the XML post disappears when you delete it.  The filename should be c3b491e5-59ac-4f6a-81e5-27e971b903ed.xml.

Someone else maybe had the same problem before (can't remember).  It might be a file permissions problem.  If all else fails, you can just delete this XML file directly from the file system.  There's no harm in this.  Then re-start the blog so the post gets cleared out of memory.  You can re-start the blog by making any change to the web.config file in the root directory (add a space, etc).

Jan 9, 2010 at 12:29 PM

Thanks,

The XML file was not being deleted when I clicked Delete at the bottom of the post. Deleting the file manually and then changing and saving the config file took care of the problem.

Steve

Jan 9, 2010 at 12:35 PM
Edited Jan 10, 2010 at 1:38 PM

Sorry...my response was double-posted for some reason and I don't see a way to delete the second one.

Jan 9, 2010 at 6:40 PM

Maybe I'm late on this one, but I assume file permissions as well.  I've run into permissions issues due to forgetting to change those permissions the first time I unzip the source.  Also, I'll move files into the App_Data folder after setting permissions, but forget the new files.

One simple trick I've used, may be better ones available, is to compress/zip any files you need to move, copy, transfer, deploy, etc.; then copy them from your zip/archive directly into the folder you need.  I use drag and drop because it's oh-so-simple and painless.  If you moved files into a folder from the "wrong" directory into App_Data, or even the root, you can either re-set permissions on the whole folder again, or just remove and do the zip/un-zip routine I suggested.

I hope this helps more permissions related issues than just this one, but either way I hope it helps someone.