Multiple WidgetZones in site.master and multiple site.master Page binding

Topics: Controls, Themes
Jan 15, 2010 at 2:48 AM

I've just played around with BlogEngine.net recently and find it very interesting one over the other CMS/Blog - small footprint, multiple data store alternatives, easy custom user controls, etc... And I didn't spend much of my time yet on searching around the documentation on the development aspect. But from my current understanding, while playing around with themes, BE.net supports only one WidgetZone (let's say RightZone) in site.master. Of course we can add more (let's say TopZone, LeftZone) but then the control saves data to only one file be_WIDGET_ZONE.xml (I haven't played around other data stores than xml). This makes every WidgetZone displays the same widget data which is not the way we want it in a professionally CMS.  Secondly, the custom pages added are statically assigned to one site.master. Here are my suggestions:

1. BE.net should support multiple WidgetZones that display widget content differently.
2. When adding a new page, user can assign the page to a specific site.master.

Thanks for your attention !!!

Coordinator
Jan 15, 2010 at 3:56 AM

On multiple widget zones - it has been in the code base for a while now, you can read this post for details.