Upgrade 1.5.x ->1.6

Topics: Business Logic Layer
Feb 2, 2010 at 11:51 PM

I'm confused.  I've copied my 1.5.x site to a new folder called 1.6.  Then I copied the new 1.6 code on top of that.  I can log into my new 1.6 site and see my posts but all my settings are gone.  Can I simply copy settings.xml from my 1.5.x site to 1.6?  Are there other files that need to be copied from 1.5.x to 1.6 to make the 1.6 site fully functional?  Thanks! 

Coordinator
Feb 2, 2010 at 11:56 PM

Where are you storing data -- in the DB or the App_Data folder (i.e. XML storage)?

The default web.config file with BE 1.6 (and BE 1.5) stores data like Settings in the App_Data folder.  If you were using a DB for BE 1.5, and then overwrote the 1.5 web.config file with the 1.6 web.config file, then your settings are probably coming from the settings.xml file in the App_Data folder.

Feb 3, 2010 at 12:10 AM

I am using "XML Storage".  I understand the my settings are coming from the settings.xml file in App_Data.  When I compare the settings.xml file in my BE 1.5.x site, it seems very different from the settings.xml file in my 1.6 site.  Can I simply copy the BE 1.5.x settings.xml back on top of BE 1.6?

Coordinator
Feb 3, 2010 at 12:12 AM
Edited Feb 3, 2010 at 12:13 AM

Yes, you can just overwrite the file.  But because BE will have the settings cached in memory, after overwriting the file, it's necessary to re-start the blog so BE re-reads the latest data from settings.xml.  To re-start the blog, you can make any modification to the web.config file (add a space, etc).

Coordinator
Feb 3, 2010 at 12:17 AM

Actually, it's probably better that you copy the entire App_Data folder from 1.5 and overwrite the App_Data folder for 1.6.  There could be some other pieces of data in your 1.5 installation that you'll want -- besides the settings.  There shouldn't be any problem overwriting the 1.6 App_Data folder with the App_Data folder from 1.5.  But after doing this, just make sure to re-start the blog as mentioned in my last post.

Feb 3, 2010 at 1:35 AM

Making a copy of the entire App_Data folder did the trick.  This moved blog settings, users, etc.  Exactly what I was looking for.  I am now up and running on BE 1.6.  Good work and thanks for your help Ben!