Blog SLOW after switching to SQL 2008

Feb 17, 2010 at 5:11 PM

We are in the process of updating our SQL server machine from 2005 to 2008. Right now, we have 2 machines one with 2005 and one with 2008, this way we can back up and restore the database to the new machine and just change the database machine name in web.config files and the apps will be ported over.

When switching the blog over to use the new database, literally just changing the server name, it slowed down incredibly. We backed up the DB on the 2005 machine and restored it on the 2008 machine, and have that database running in 2005 compatibility mode. The only difference between the two machines, besides better hardware, os, etc... on the newer machine, is the version of SQL they are running.

Is there some sort of setting I need to set to make this run faster? Is there anything I need to do?

Feb 17, 2010 at 7:51 PM

The only thought that comes to mind is that the new server name may not be resolving quickly.  This wouldn't be a BE issue (if it's the case), but a networking issue.  If you have an IP address, I would try using that instead of the server name.